Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Distractions and priorities!

Luke 10:38-42 is a great example of things that distract from joy. It is the story of Mary and Martha. Jesus came to share an evening with them and Martha, in true womanly fashion, was distracted by preparing a fantastic meal and making everything just perfect; while Mary, on the other hand, sat at Jesus feet and just enjoyed being in His presence. Although Jesus appreciated Martha's efforts, He would rather she prepared a simple meal, so that they could all sit down and make the most of their time together. Martha's hostess duties were distracting her from what was really important. I do not think it right to judge which of the ladies "loved" Jesus more. Martha was showing love by serving and Mary was showing love by spending quality time with her Lord. However, I am glad that Jesus draws our attention to which is the greater priority. Doing things for Him should not take priority over just being with Him.
"Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation." Habakkuk 3:18
"You have made known to me the ways of life; You will make me full of joy in your presence."
Acts 2:28

Which are you, Friend? A Martha, or a Mary? I know that if the Lord were in my home, I would've probably been a Martha...worried about making everything "just right" for Him. But this story speaks to me in the fact that Jesus lives in my heart and in my home, and its OK that things in my life are hectic and disheveled. Christ does not require a tidy house and a 7 course meal in order to feel welcome. All He wants is our complete attention and adoration of Him. I love that!! Leaves me less to worry about. 

"We like sheep..." I am constantly reminded of this phrase when faced with the need to re-prioritize. Notice the life and priorities of a sheep. What do they do day in & day out? They are fed, clothed and cared for by the Shepherd and all they do is belong to Him. John 10:4 says, "And when He brings out His own sheep; He goes before them; and the sheep follow Him for they know His voice." Our sole purpose is to be with Him!! Doesn't that just make you jump for joy?!! 

Find Joy in Him, Beloved!

No comments:

Post a Comment