Thursday, November 3, 2011

Speak Up!

Friend, I have to admit that I have been struggling this week. I am quite opinionated, but typically I keep my perspective & preferences to myself. I rarely share how I feel with others, due to the worry that they might disagree or become offended by my point of view. But the Lord has been so good to me in revealing my secret faults and showing me how dangerous it can be to keep silent. When I do not share my honest perspective, I'm living a falsehood and unintentionally being deceitful. All the while, my "pursuit of peace" has only been a crusade of tolerance.

Something that really spoke to my heart this week was this excerpt from "Wisdom for the way" by Charles Swindoll.
Perspectives and Preferences: "So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another." Romans 14:19
Disagreements are inevitable...There will always be opposing viewpoints and a variety of perspectives on most subjects. Tastes differ as well as preferences. That is why they make vanilla and chocolate and strawberry ice cream; why they build Fords and Chevys, Chryslers and Cadillacs, Hondas and Toyotas. That is why our nation has room for Democrats and Republicans, conservatives and liberals - and moderates. The tension is built into or system. It is what freedom is all about, including religious freedom. I am fairly firm in my theological convictions, but that doesn't mean you (or anyone) must agree with me. All this explains why I place so much importance on leaving "wobble room" in our relationships. One's theological persuasion may not bend, but one's involvement with others must.
...God has placed you in His family and given you a certain mixture that makes you unique. No mixture is insignificant! That mix pleases Him completely. Nobody is exactly like you. That should bring you pleasure too. When you operate in your realm of capabilities, you will excel and the while Body will benefit...and you will experience incredible satisfaction.

This is what I hope we can all glean from this...
When we adopt the "mum's the word" mentality, we deprive the Body of Christ of a good thing. The Lord has created us with individual voices and every perspective is valuable. Typically, even the most kindred of spirits differ on a few points of view! A difference of opinion is nothing to be afraid of; in fact, it should be welcomed. Have you ever changed your mind when someone else has shared their opinion with you, and come to find that their perspective actually made more sense?

We need one another, Friend! No two are alike! The world needs Mary's and Martha's, David's and Daniel's, Peter's and Paul's. I have identical twin girls and yet they are as different in personality as a lion and a lamb. But both need one another. Karis and Kelsie seem to balance one another out. I love watching them because their year and a half old enthusiasm for life is unharnessed. They don't know what it is to keep a secret or repress feelings. Although not in many words, they can communicate what they want very well. And when their desire is not beneficial, they learn to yield to parental judgement. So it should be between Christians. The older are to help the younger become wise, but how can that be when mouths remain closed?! We cannot grow if we do not share the state of our roots. The Gardener has "tools" that He uses to cultivate healthy development.

Are you allowing yourself to be ministered to?! Are you ministering to others?! However different, your honest opinions and preferences should be shared. Speak up. Sharing the truth in love will make difference!

Find Joy in Him, Beloved!

No comments:

Post a Comment