Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Cuckoo!

Hello sweet Friend! How much do you know about the Cuckoo? We've named a clock after this bird. My great grandmother (amazing woman who is now with the Lord) used to have one, and every half hour & hour, the little bird perched in the rafters of her clock would abruptly exit it's tiny chamber and call out "Cuckoo!!!" repeatedly until we were all acutely aware of the time! I always wondered why she had, what I thought was, such an annoying contraption. Rather than hearing "cuckoo!" I always heard, "Your life is ticking away! Just wanted to remind you!" Well, here's what I've since found out about the bird within the clock, and why it was so named.

When a mother cuckoo needs to lay her egg, she doesn't build her own nest. You see, she has no intention of caring for or raising her baby. Instead, she lays her egg among the others, in the nest of another bird & flies away. When the baby cuckoo hatches, it usually shoves all the other eggs out of the nest, keeping for itself, all of the food & attention from its new Mother. I found this shocking! You'd think the original mother bird could've at least written a note of warning..."I've left you with a greedy li'l booger that will make your life miserable! Be prepared for disaster! Oh, and thanks for doing this so I don't have to." This baby bird is not a creature that goes out of its way to make others feel wanted or welcome. Quite the contrary. I just have to post a few pictures of this because they speak louder than words.
Here's the newly hatched little rascal putting the other eggs on its back & tossing them out of the nest.
Here's the growing cuckoo trying to remain squeezed into the nest while still being fed by its adopted mother. 
I have to admit, it makes me chuckle. :) 

 I just can't get over the nature of this bird...ridiculously comical!
Scary that we too can be guilty of assuming a similar position of entitlement in life. 

Often times, I see myself as kindred to this baby cuckoo. I am loud and obnoxious, and I'm sure I cast others aside while focusing too much on all that concerns me.
See this:
Sometimes, that big squawking, odious bird...yeah that's me! Sad to say, the nature of it comes naturally. I'm sure folks know when I've got my "all about me" attitude goin' on. Now unlike the cuckoo on the wall awaiting the gears to trip it into action, I have no excuse. My purpose is opposite that of the cuckoo. Acting as such is not the way to win friends & influence people and it certainly isn't a clear representation of Christ.

If we live as we are called, then we must constantly battle against our "cuckoo" moments. Here are some scripture passages that can help.
"Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires." Galatians 5:24
"I have been crucified with Christ; nevertheless I live, yet not I but Christ lives in me..." Galatians 2:20
"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it." Luke 9:23-24
"He must become greater; I must become less." John 3:30
"Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you." Romans 12:3
"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility, consider others better than yourself." Philippians 2:3

Friends, let's strive to be Christlike, not Cuckoos! Make room in your life for others, and put forth effort to ensure they know you care!

Find Joy in Him, Beloved!

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting facts about the cuckoo, I never heard of that before!

    ReplyDelete